The information in this article applies to:
- All ZoomText versions
Update: this problem has been solved in ZoomText 10.0.9 update except if you have Avast.
When launching ZoomText, you may get "ZoomText Not Activated" when it has already been activated on the PC. An attempt to activate ZoomText yields the following error: "Error code: 0 0-0".
There were recent updates from several different antivirus programs, including McAfee, AVG, Avast, VIPRE, INVISUS, and System Suites 9, which quarantine one of the ZoomText files. This leads to the error message saying that ZoomText is no longer activated.
The name and location of the file could be one of the following:
C:\Program Files\ZoomText 9.1\SCPWIN32.dll
C:\Program Files(x86)\ZoomText 9.1\SCPWIN32.dll
C:\Program Files\ZoomText 10\SCPWIN32.dll
C:\Program Files(x86)\ZoomText 10\SCPWIN32.dll
To fix the problem, you will need to open your antivirus program and either un-quarantine the file or restore it. Then you’ll need to add it to the "Always Allow" list if there is one for the antivirus program.
- Exit Avast.
- Open the Avast tool bar.
- Click on "Statistics".
- Click on "Component Status".
- Click "Items stored in Virus Chest".
- Right click on "SCPWIN32.dll".
- Click on Restore and add to exclusions.
- Close Avast.
- Start ZoomText, it should come up just fine.
- Re-enable Avast.
- Close then restart ZoomText to make sure ZoomText still comes up.
- Reboot your machine just to make sure it’s still working.
There is a possibility the steps above for Avast may not work. We have seen some cases where the file is not in the quarantine area as it is probably auto deleted. If this is the case, the only way to fix it is to disable Avast, reinstall ZoomText, then put ZoomText in the exclusions list in Avast, and then you can re-enable Avast after that. The support team can help you with this if you're having trouble.
Alternative Avast instructions:
- Update Avast.
- Start ZoomText.
- When you get to the dialog box that says ZoomText needs to be activated, press the hotkey: CTRL + WIN + ALT + SPACEBAR.
- Restart ZoomText.
If you still are having problems please contact the Ai Squared Support team at (802) 362-3612 option #3.
McAfee Security Center instructions:
- Right-click on "McAfee" in the task bar.
- Left-click on "Open McAfee Security Center".
- Click on "Navigation" near the top right.
- Scroll the list on the right under Features and left click on the link for Quarantined And Trusted Items.
- Left Click on the Down Arrow for "Quarantined Items".
- Look for the SCPWIN32.dll file in the listing.
- Left-click on this file to highlight it.
- Left-click on "Restore" button.
- Once the file appears to be restored (you should not see it listed in the listing) Exit McAfee by clicking on the “X” in the upper right corner.
- Open ZoomText and then activate it.
- Right-click on "AVG Antivirus" in the task bar.
- Left-click on "Open AVG user interface".
- Click on "History" on the menu bar at the top.
- Select "Virus Vault".
- Right-click on the SCPWIN32.dll file.
- Left-click on "Restore".
- Click "Yes" to "Are you sure you want to restore the items(s) from the Virus Vault?".
- Click on the "Close" button.
- Double-click on "Resident Shield".
- Click on the "Manage Exceptions" button at the bottom.
- On the left, selected "Excluded Files".
- Click on the "Add" button on the right.
- Browse to the SCPWIN32.dll file (potential file paths are listed above. In the Look in: dropdown at the top, select Local Hard Drive (C:\) to get started).
- When you have browsed to the SCPWIN32.dll file, double-click on it.
- Click on the "Apply" button.
- Click on the "OK" button.
- Click on the "X" at the top right corner.
- Open ZoomText and it will be activated.
The Ai Squared Support Team