ZoomText 10 is a powerful computer access solution designed for the visually-impaired. Consisting of two adaptive technologies – screen magnification and screen reading – ZoomText allows you to see and hear everything on the computer screen, providing complete access to applications, documents, email and the Internet. ZoomText 10 also allows you to magnify printed material using a standard HD webcam.
ZoomText 10 is available in two product versions:
Magnifier – a standalone screen magnifier.
Magnifier/Reader – an integrated magnifier and screen reader.
Both versions of ZoomText 10 are designed for users of all ages and skill levels. With a precise mix of power and simplicity, ZoomText provides total independence at home, school and in the workplace.
ZoomText Magnifier is an advanced screen magnification program that enlarges and enhances everything on the computer screen.
ZoomText 10 Magnifier features include:
- Flexible Magnification Full range ofmagnification levels up to 36x. Levels include: 1x to 8x in steps of 1, 10x to 16x in steps of 2, 20x to 36x in steps of 4, and fractional powers of 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x and 2.5x.
- Powerful Zoom Windows 8 different zoom windows allow you to configure the magnified view according to your needs.
- Font Enhancements xFont technology (patented) displays print-quality text that's easy to read at all magnification levels. Smooth, bold and condense settings allow you to fine-tune the thickness and spacing of text for added legibility.
- Dual Monitor Support Allows you to expand your magnified view or simultaneously see magnified and normal views of your screen.
- Enhanced Screen Colors Innovative color controls improve screen clarity and reduce eyestrain. Special effects include color dyes, two-color modes and replacement of problem colors.
- Visible Pointers and Cursors Size and color enhancements make it easy to see the mouse pointer. Special locators make it easy to find and follow the mouse pointer and text cursor.
- Focus Enhancements New focus enhancements make it easy to locate and follow the control focus when you navigate through application menus, dialogs and other application controls.
- Smooth Navigation Navigating your applications and scrolling the view is always smooth and comfortable.
- Desktop Finder Desktop Finder helps you find and launch programs and documents on your desktop, system tray and quick launch bar.
- Web Finder Web Finder helps you search, skim, navigate and read webpages for topics of interest.
- Text Finder Text Finder helps you locate words, phrases and topics of interest in documents, web pages, and application windows.
- ZoomText Camera ZoomText Camera allows you to magnify printed documents, books and other items using a standard HD webcam.
- Application Settings Save unique settings for each application that you use. As you switch applications, ZoomText automatically loads the desired settings.
- Windows Logon Support Magnification and screen reading support in the Windows logon screen.
ZoomText Magnifier/Reader is a fully integrated magnification and screen reading program that enlarges, enhances and reads aloud everything on the computer screen.
ZoomText 10 Magnifier/Reader includes all the features of ZoomText Magnifier, plus:
- Complete Screen Reading ZoomText automatically speaks all program controls, including menus, dialogs, list views and messages. Three verbosity levels give you complete control over the amount of information spoken.
- Automatic Document Reading 'AppReader' automatically reads documents, web pages and email within the parent application. Use AppReader’s 'Read from Pointer' command to instantly start AppReader at the word under the mouse pointer. 'DocReader' reads documents in a special environment where text is reformatted for easier viewing.
- Reading Zones Reading Zones allow you to instantly see and hear selected locations in your applications. Define up to 10 zones per application that you can trigger via pop-up menu or keyboard commands.
- Full Internet Accessibility ZoomText reads any web page, in the proper reading order. You can read automatically or manually navigate by word, line, sentence and paragraph.
- Text Navigation Navigation keys make it easy to read while creating and editing documents. With simple commands you can read by character, word, line, sentence and paragraph, even while selecting text.
- Typing Echo Each key or word that you type is automatically spoken. You can choose to have all keys spoken or only selected groups of keys.
- Mouse Echo Mouse echo automatically reads text that you point to. Single words or complete lines of text are spoken instantly or after hovering briefly.
- SpeakIt Tool The SpeakIt tool allows you to read selected areas of the screen by clicking or dragging the mouse.
- Background Reader Background Reader allows you to listen to documents, webpages, email or any text while you simultaneously perform other tasks.
- ZoomText Recorder ZoomText Recorder allows you to turn text from documents, webpages, email or other sources into audio recordings that you can listen to on your computer or transfer to your mobile device for listening to on the go.
- Special Application Support Built in support for latest versions of popular applications – including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe Reader and Firefox– allow you to read and navigate your documents with 100% accuracy.
- Built-in Synthesizers ZoomText includes four built-in speech synthesizers, each providing a variety of male and female voices to choose from. The NeoSpeech synthesizer provides human-sounding voices (English only) that are closer to the real thing than ever before.
What's New in ZoomText 10
ZoomText 10 contains the following new features and enhancements, allowing for greater productivity and support for the latest versions of popular applications.
- Enhanced Web Finder The newly redesigned Web Finder has been expanded to allow you to swiftly search, skim, navigate and read webpages. You can now search for words or phrases throughout an
entire webpage to find topics of interest. When
you've found a topic of interest you can have Web Finder start reading from that location (ZoomText Magnifier/Reader only). Web Finder can also find and execute links and controls allowing you to seamlessly navigate between webpages. For more information, see Chapter 3 - "Web Finder."
- ZoomText Camera The new ZoomText Camera feature allows you to use any high-definition (HD) webcam to magnify printed items and other objects right on your computer screen—including bills, magazines, photographs, medicine labels, craft items and more. For more information, see Chapter 5 - "ZoomText Camera."
- Background Reader The new Background Reader allows you to listen to documents, webpages, email or any text while you simultaneously perform other tasks. You simply copy or select the text you want to listen to and start Background Reader. While the text is being read aloud, you are free to type notes, browse the web or do any other work on your computer. For more information, see Chapter 5 - "Background Reader."
- ZoomText Recorder The new ZoomText Recorder allows you to turn text from documents, webpages, email or other sources into audio recordings that you can listen to on your computer or transfer to your mobile device for listening to on the go. Create recordings in your choice of ZoomText voices or any other voices available on your system. For more information, see Chapter 5 - "ZoomText Recorder."
- Read from Pointer The new "Read from Pointer" command lets you instantly start AppReader at the word under the mouse pointer, making use of AppReader fast and seamless in documents, web pages and email. For more information, see Chapter 4 - "AppReader."
- Text Finder Highlight You can now configure unique highlight settings for the ZoomText Text Finder. For more information, see Chapter 3 - "Text Finder."
- Full Windows Logon Support (with ZoomText Logon UI) ZoomText's logon support is now available in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. ZoomText's logon support provides essential magnification and screen reading features when logging into Windows. For more information, see Chapter 2 - "Windows Logon Support."
- Special Application Support Support for latest versions of popular applications – including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe Reader and Firefox– allow you to read and navigate your documents with 100% accuracy.
The following hardware and software is required to run ZoomText 10:
- Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP (SP2 or later)
- 1.5 GHz for Windows 7 and Windows Vista
1 GHz Pentium® 4 or equivalent for Windows XP
- 1 GB RAM for Windows 7 and Windows Vista (2GB recommended)
512 MB RAM for Windows XP (1 GB recommended)
- 50 MB free hard disk space (additional 60 MB required for each NeoSpeech synthesizer)
- USB 2.0 (for webcam support if using ZoomText Camera feature)
- Sound card (for Magnifier/Reader version only)
About the ZoomText User's Guide
The ZoomText 10 User's Guide provides complete instructions for installing and using ZoomText Magnifier and ZoomText Magnifier/Reader. Features that are unique to ZoomText Magnifier/Reader are grouped together in Chapter 4 - "Screen Reading Features", or are noted as a screen reader feature only.
This user's guide assumes you have a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows® and its conventions, including how to use the mouse and standard menu commands. For help with these techniques, please refer to your Microsoft Windows documentation.
Before using this manual, we recommend you install ZoomText 10.
Throughout this user's guide you will see special formatting used to represent important information. The following table outlines these formats and what they represent.
On-screen items that you select or click on, such as menus, dialogs and controls.
Keys that you should press. The plus sign between keys means that you should hold down the first key while you press the second key. If three keys are represented, hold the first two keys while you press the third.