The information in this article applies to:
- NeoSpeech synthesizers
- ZoomText 10.1, 10.0, and 9.0
Occasionally, the NeoSpeech synthesizer will incorrectly pronounce a word. Most often, this problem occurs with words that have unusual spellings – such as proper names, acronyms, and abbreviations.
With NeoSpeech, you can modify how words are pronounced as follows:
- From the ZoomText menu bar, select Reader > Synthesizer...
The Speech dialog will open to the Synthesizer tab.
- In the Synthesizer combo box, select NeoSpeech English.
- In the Voice combo box, select the voice ( Paul or Kate ) for which you want to modify word pronunciations. Note: Paul and Kate have separate dictionary files, therefore changes in one are not applied in the other.
- Click the Options… button.
The English User Dictionary Editor dialog opens.
- Click the Add Word button.
The Edit Word dialog opens.
- In the Source edit box, type in the word, acronym or abbreviation that you would like to add. For example: "Mr." (the abbreviation for "mister").
- In the Target edit box, type the way you would like the word to be pronounced phonetically. For the above example ("Mr."), type the word "mister".
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Read Word button to test your new pronunciation
- Click Close .
You will be prompted to save your changes to the dictionary.
- Click the Yes button to save the changes.
- Click the OK button to close the Speech dialog box.
- Restart ZoomText. This is required in order for the changes to take effect.